Friday, September 7, 2012

Mountain House Pouch of Teriyaki Chicken (2 Serving) Review




Just ate a Mountain House pouch of teriyaki chicken that I bought 6 years ago.
It's been in my cupboard ever since.
Recall those pouches have a 7 year shelf life, so it had one year left before the expiration date.
I decided to eat this one today and see how well the food kept.

It was good.  Don't think I've eaten chicken from Mountain House before, so can't compare the taste of 6 year old to new.

The chicken itself tasted fine, but it was a little stiff, not really a tender texture.  But still tasted fresh.  So would say it had a little bit of a stale texture, but a fresh flavor.  Maybe it just didn't soak up enough water, but I added exactly the specified amount.
The rice was a little stiff too, so not tender, but tasted fine.
The veggies seemed like other veggies I've had in other Mountain House food I've had before.
No bad aftertastes or any other problems at all.

The direction said to let it set in the pouch for 9 minutes, but I let it set for 11 minutes before I unzipped the pouch, that might have had something to do with it, but not sure.

So all in all the food was fine, just the texture wasn't as tender as I expected.
So expect the stuff in the cans we bought, which keeps for 25 years, will make for perfectly fine food when we need it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment